Sunday, May 26, 2013

A DIY Floor Mop!

I know I could have gotten a cheap sweatshop mop at Walmart, but I'd be jealous if my mop had done more traveling in life than I had.  My floors need a mop, so here is a plan for a quick, easy DIY floor mop.

I snip my old cutoff shorts and tshirts into strips.  I take three of the strips, tie it off at the top and braid it all the way down.  I  then tie then end off.  The ties are just strips of the clothing.  Note to self: brighten your wardrobe.




After I'm done all of the braids, I find an old broom handle in parent's garage.  I staple gun the loose ends of the braids evenly to the end of the broom stick.  This will keep them anchored against twisting forces (ringing out the mop).  I tie a big heavy elastic band around all the braids.  Then I take some thick guage steel wire and tie it around, twisting with plyers to for a tight band around the braids.  


The mop is ugly, but ready for action!


To wring it out, I stabbed a bunch of wholes in the bottom of a coffee can.  A crude but effect approach!



No comments:

Post a Comment